January 21, 2021

1/20/2021 -- HOPE IS A GOOD THING

I woke up this morning and said to myself, "Self, what a great f&$kin' day for...." Well, I'm not sure what comes next. 

Anyone who knows me knows that for the past 30 years there's been one public servant that has been, for lack of a better term, my hero. Hero is a big word for such a small word and very loaded. You shouldn't meet your heroes. Maybe we shouldn't have heroes at all. But Joe Biden has been my hero since before I had interest in politics, government, public service, diplomacy, American History, current events, and before 24-hour news cycles covered politics like Jimmy The Greek and MLB statisticians.
 
I'm the unicorn. I'm the Joe Biden Girl when so many less informed, or more jaded and cynical, dismissed this 3rd time presidential candidate as simply "not T****." Not for me. 
 
For whatever reason, Joe Biden has always spoken to me. When he, or Ted Kennedy, were on TV, I was tuned in. But it was Joe's voice which cut through the static, the clutter, and spoke to me personally, helping me understand issues, policies, positions, the embarrassment of a verbal gaffe, and the quiet dedication of a loyal American who believed that government could be a place where people come together and no one gets left behind (T/H Aaron Sorkin)
 
An imperfect man. A heartbroken man. A man weathered and worn by life's tragedies but strengthened by his faith, his faith in family, and his faith in the possibility of American ideals. 
 
I've always followed his political career and sought out his appearances on TV news programs and interview shows. I've read his memoirs.

I've never met the man. I was in a room with the man only once. Obama, McCain, DiCaprio, Gyllenhall, and an assortment of marquee names I can't recall were there as well. Didn't matter. I sat in my seat and tracked Joe around the room the way a cat follows a laser pointer.
 
I never got the chance to vote for Joe Biden in Democratic primaries because he'd dropped out of the races before New York ever had a chance to vote. When Barack Obama asked Joe to be his Vice President my heart burst. I was able to vote for Joe twice to be my Veep. (And Obama exceeded all my hopes and expectations - 'cause that's what he does.)
 
I didn't want Joe Biden to run for President in 2020. While I wholeheartedly believed he'd be the best possible POTUS, I didn't believe he'd be the best possible candidate. Not in 2020. Not in the era of social media, craven & hateful campaigns, the divisiveness emboldened and practiced by too many on the other side of the aisle (and some of the more "progressive" on the same side) and a media that lazily takes the easiest path via headline or clickbait or spin to dumb down its audience and narrative. So I quietly watched as My Hero, still raw from the loss of his beloved son Beau, waded into shark-infested waters with the goal of saving this country's soul. I didn't expect it to go well.
 
I thought this man's moment had passed. He'd missed his window. His destiny was not to hold that office. Quietly, hopefully, timidly (like watching a horror film from under the blanket) I braced for the worst. I watched his character, his integrity, his accomplishments, and his family's heartbreaks be shredded, intentionally misrepresented, and used as a weapon while idiots among us declared him dementia-riddled and dumb.
 
But as I braced for the worst, it never came...as Seamus Heany wrote (and Biden reminded us,) "once in a lifetime...hope and history rhyme." 
 
 
There was a sea change. I watched my hero break away from the pack (keep your cynical gripes & insider baseball critiques for another day, and person) and accept the nomination. I screamed when he chose Kamala Harris as a running mate, helping make history on so many fronts. I watched a nation embrace them and "discover" the deep well of empathy, knowledge, compassion, and endearing folksiness of an eminently qualified, experienced, respected, dedicated, and profoundly decent public servant. I wanted to say, "I told you so." But I didn't because Joe was mine. He was my hero. My north star. My voice amidst the chaos for three decades. My Catholic mensch.
 
Yesterday, I was a complete emotional wreck watching Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr. take the oath of office and become our 46th POTUS. Overjoyed in my disbelief. Prone to weeping in joy all day and night. As an old friend told me yesterday, I was now allowed to exhale... but just a little.
 
Look, I'm an Islanders, Mets, Jets fan. I worked for Bon Jovi. I'm still with Hillary Clinton. I've had a career torpedoed. I don't have a history of backing what the record books or gatekeepers of culture declare "winners" but I do know a little about loyalty, faith, and underdogs. 
 
Integrity matters. To see Joe Biden walk into the White House yesterday was to see Integrity and Decency return to the People's House. Sunlight disinfects... and yesterday was a giant ray of sunshine.
 
I'm not delusional. I'm no Pollyanna. This administration has a ridiculous amount of challenges ahead of them with forces and foes no doubt ready to impede their progress. Nothing will change overnight and nothing moving forward will be easy. But I slept well last night. And woke up this morning realizing my hero was also my President. And for today, that's enough. 
 
It took me until this morning to commit these thoughts to writing (typing) because I tried to truly enjoy yesterday's celebration and historic moments. But now, to quote my beloved favorite fictional POTUS, "What's Next?"
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment